I study the causes and consequences of living standards, poverty, inequality, mobility, employment, economic growth, social policy, taxes, public opinion, and politics in the United States and other affluent countries.
Ten quick links
- How Big Should Our Government Be?
- The Good Society
- Social Democratic America
- “Social-democratic vs market-friendly progressivism”
- “Would Bernie Sanders’ policies give a huge boost to economic growth?”
- Wonkblog interview on social democracy and the 2016 election
- “Why don’t low-income whites love the Democrats?”
- “Is income inequality harmful?”
- “America is exceptional … and ordinary”
- My CV
Professor of Sociology and Yankelovich Chair in Social Thought
Director, Yankelovich Center
University of California, San Diego
Office hours for spring 2016: W 11:15–1:15, SSB 472